Wednesday 19 January 2011

Introducing Ronell van Wyk

I love the outdoors
I love walking
And cycling
I love sketching
I love plein air painting/sur le motif( painting outdoors...on the spot)
...painter..

My sketching tools, which I carry constantly in my bag, are very simple. A sketchbook, pen, pencil a little watercolor palette with a water spray and a brush.
...sketching tools...

When going for a longer walk or a bit of cycling, I’ll take my folding chair with backpack where all the tools fit onto nicely, but still it stays very simple with only the addition of some extra water soluble pens.

...let's sit a bit...

For a long plein air session of about 1 to 2 hours, the tools change a bit. I do plein air in oil and therefore will take along my French easel and oils...and oh yes.. very important...a flask of coffee!

...painting sur le motif

To do art en plein air, provides a satisfaction that is hard to find elsewhere. Whether it is drawing or sketching or painting...seating myself in a spot where I am surrounded by beauty and fresh air , with all its motion and smells and sounds, fills me with optimism and enthusiasm and challenges me to a point where I can’t say no. It stirs all of my senses at the same time. Even though I may not leave that spot with a perfect painting or sketch,(which happens more often that I would like!) I leave it nonetheless with a perfect expression of my emotions. Good or bad. It doesn't matter. The more do it, the more I want to do it.
The process becomes an addiction.
I don’t mind.
I just do it.

...à bientôt..Ronell

6 comments:

Desiree's Designs said...

Ronell, what a wonderful intro and sketch for sketchersizing! LOL I love it, your work is amazing and I love the way you seem to capture the mood and feeling of the area in just a few strokes of your brush, I am so excited to be a part of this talented group of artist from so many different parts of the world.

Albrecht Rissler said...

Ronell, as I see you use the same outdoor drawing equipment as I do: The folding chair, so-called Fischerstuhl, is very handy, isn't it?
What branch of water soluble pen can you recommend? I've got good experience with Karisma Graphite Aquarelle Very Soft, made in Mexico by Berol. That pen has a nice grey tone. Second choice: Dark Wash made by Rexel Cumberland/Derwent...

Cathy Gatland said...

I'm so looking forward to getting a real Ronell sketch after enjoying the virtual ones for quite a few years now!

Charlene Brown said...

Thank you so much Ronell, for launching this project and getting the introductions started with this fascinating story.

Pat said...

Hi Ronell,
Thank you, Thank you and Thank you for all your hard work. You have always been a blessing to me through your wonderful art, and sunny disposition and oh ya! your great recipes too. I will be writing to you soon.
Hugs
pat

Bridget Hunter said...

I've loved reading your intro - your photos, words sketches - and your patience and time helping Katherine to organise us all. You seem such a fun person and look forward to you postcard.