Monday 24 October 2011

The Majan ruins of Copan in Honduras

If there is one thing that I find hugely exciting, it is discovering foreign places. If I can't discover it myself, receiving a postcard, is as an exciting confirmation of my intention to visit that place. Standing with a handpainted postcard from a foreign place in my hand, from a friend...thàt is the ultimate experience. I now have a burning desire to visit Honduras. And I have Charlene to blame for this shameless desire.

.. higher residential level of the Majan ruins of Copan - a city with several tree- covered pyramids....

Her postcard took many small roads to finally get to me and it's far and wide travels had clearly left its mark...but somehow it has added to the mystery of Charlene's card...lost civilizations...age...endurance..a card. Do you want me to go on? I can if you want...if you had this pilgrim card in your hand, you would feel the same...
Thank you Charlene, it took months for Copan to reach me, but it is my story card and well worth waiting for!

7 comments:

Making A Mark said...

Wow - that's come from the back of beyond in more ways than one!

Great postcard too.

vivien said...

what an amazing subject - such a fantastic place to be able to sketch and a lovely result.

Bridget Hunter said...

I think this is the best card yet from Charlene. i love the view she's chosen and the simplicity of all the shapes.

Robyn Sinclair said...

This is a favourite for me too. Great perspective and composition, Charlene and so wonderfully exotic!

Cathy Gatland said...

A wonderful card, arriving after its long journey - this really stirs the imagination and the desire to travel on and on...!

Desiree's Designs said...

What an amazing journey, too bad it can't tell its tale. It began in a magical place and took many detours before arriving! Great card!

Pat said...

Charlene, it is always a thrill to see where you are off to next and what you have painted. Lovely.
It will probably only be a matter of time that we won't have the opportunity to recieve postcards through the mail. We are indeed lucky in so many ways to have the chance to recieve actual pieces of original art that have traveled by so many hands. It would be fun to have each destination noted on our little postcard in some (beautiful!) way.